In the year 2009, the United States government signed a stimulus program for providing $19 million to facilitate the increased usage of electronic medical records by private practitioners and hospital facilities. These records are changing the face of healthcare by making patient’s information readily accessible and saving up on time. An electronic medical record is the best way in which the health care industry can leverage on the offerings of the informational age.
Let us understand the contribution of these electronic medical records to the field of healthcare -
- These records offer manageability to the organization to take care of the patient’s information using futuristic technology. Appropriate electronic medical records software can work wonders for a business by increasing its efficiency.
- They help in increasing the efficiency of an organization by decreasing the amount of resources required for operations that may include those like time and money.
- The process of storage of the patient’s data is made versatile as these records store not only the notes of the physicians or specialists but also medical codes. Therefore, multiple users can access information by using personal/online support.
- A large part of the resources of an organization is spent on the information technology infrastructure. These records help in eliminating of the extensive infrastructure and making the databases more efficient for usage.
- Most of these electronic records are easily accessible with the help of compatible devices. This means that they can be easily downloaded to a palmtop or a laptop with a valid access and internet connectivity.
- An excellent support system is also an advantage for these electronic records software. It is also possible to get access to various medical records that may include Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other codes.
- These records have also helped in decreasing the number of errors that are encountered in healthcare documentations. It is due to this reason these records have also been termed as “preventive medicine” by various people.
- The utilization of these records have also reduced the number of hours spent by patients waiting outside the emergency for the physicians to access their personal medical record.
Electronic medical records are changing the face of healthcare by making it more efficient and productive. Visit http://www.activemds.com/ for further details.